The Golden Gate Bridge and the San Francisco skyline
Located on the coast of Northern California, San Francisco is known for being one of the nation’s most cultured and business-oriented cities. With more than 850,000 residents, San Francisco is the 13th-most populous city in the United States, and attracts an additional 17 million tourists each year.
San Francisco's Critical Mass cycling event
What is it that brings so many people to San Francisco? Here’s a look into how this West Coast city has established itself as one of the nation’s most exciting and culturally diverse destinations.
At the annual La Cocina Street Food Festival
- The City by the Bay: San Francisco, nicknamed “The City by the Bay,” was officially incorporated in 1850 and has a very rich history. In the year 1848, the first gold was found in the foothills, resulting in a gold rush that caused the population to grow from 1,000 to 25,000 in just one year. Today, San Francisco is known for many of its landmarks and attractions, including Golden Gate Park, PIER 39 and the iconic Golden Gate Bridge.
The Haight-Ashbury District was a cultural hub in the 1960s
- Experiencing the Culture: Similar to Los Angeles, San Francisco is considered to be one of the most culturally-diverse cities on the West Coast of the United States. The city was the setting of one of the most famous counterculture movements in the United States during the 1960’s, and served as an inspiration for many world-renowned writers, including Mark Twain and Jack London. San Francisco is also known for its art galleries and museums, including the popular San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, which attracts millions of visitors each year.
Spectators at Gay Pride Parade
- Staying Entertained: In addition to its cultural offerings, San Francisco provides an abundance of entertainment options for people living in and visiting the city.
San Francisco is well-known for its successful sports franchises, including the San Francisco Giants (Baseball), San Francisco 49ers (American Football) and the Golden State Warriors (Basketball) in nearby Oakland, California. In total, these three franchises have a combined 17 league championships.
American Conservatory Theatre's The Strand Theatre
San Francisco also has many other forms of live entertainment. Some of the world’s most popular musicians stop in the city every year to play at local music venues, including The Fillmore and The Independent. Locals also take advantage of the many live theaters in the city, including the San Francisco Theater and the American Conservatory Theater. It’s safe to say that whatever you are passionate about, San Francisco has entertainment options that will fit your interests.
Students near the University of San Francisco campus
- Getting an education: Students from all over the world travel to San Francisco each year to pursue an education. Two of the city’s most revered public universities include San Francisco State University and the University of California, San Francisco, which has one of the nation’s best medical programs. The Academy of Art University in San Francisco is renowned for its outstanding programs for students interested in pursuing a degree in the arts.
Victorian row houses in the Pacific Heights neighborhood
- Finding your new home: San Francisco is a very large city, making it difficult to choose the best housing option in the right neighborhood. If you are interested in living off-campus, many students choose to live in apartments located near their particular campus. ApartmentSearch.com is a great tool that allows you to search for an apartment in your ideal location, while also showing you crime statistics, the cost of living, local restaurants, the length of your commute and more. If your apartment is unfurnished, furniture rental is an economical and hassle-free way to furnish your home. CORT, the leading provider of furniture rental in the U.S., furnishes thousands of student apartments with everything from beds and sofas to accessories – all with affordable rental package options.
A student photographer in Alamo Square
San Francisco is one of the most exciting, diverse and promising cities in the United States for students looking for a great value while pursuing their education. If you’re interested in learning more about “The City by the Bay,” be sure to research all that San Francisco has to offer. For more information on CORT’s furniture rental solutions, please visit CORT.com.
The Ranger Ferry returns tourists from Alcatraz Island
- San Francisco fun facts:
- The fortune cookie is believed to have been invented by a Japanese resident of San Francisco.
- The Beatles gave their last full concert at Candlestick Park in San Francisco in 1966.
- Irish coffee was invented in San Francisco.
- Golden Gate Park contains several herds of American bison, a species that was once very close to extinction.
- Alcatraz Island, located on the San Francisco Bay, is the site of the first lighthouse ever built on the West Coast of the United States, as well as the infamous federal prison.
by Yu Wu and CORT.
Universities and colleges in or near San Francisco:
Check Out These Schools
Start your U.S. adventure with Study in the USA
Learn About U.S. education financing, housing, and more
Join over 6 million people and businesses who get a better deal when they send money with the real exchange rate.
Most U.S. apartments come unfurnished. Make your move easy with a student furniture rental package from CORT. Flexible lease terms. Delivered before you arrive. Starting at $99 per month.* *with a 12-month lease
MPOWER Financing is the top-rated lender offering international student loans without cosigners, collateral, or credit history for global citizens, PLUS international student scholarships & career coaching! Fully online application, 96% customer...
I learned about F-1 and M-1 student visas from Study in the USA and also it helped me find good F-1 accredited universities across different states.
Some of the guides from Study in the USA are helpful for international students who are not aware of the process of applying to universities and tests, such as IELTS.
StudyUSA.com has helped in a sense that it continuously provided additional information both in regard with finding a good university.
Learn about American culture and education direct from our experts at Study in the USA. Read more