This is the time of year when the spring, almost summer air is filled with graduation excitement. For students in secondary school, they have graduated to the next grade (level) and moved up in the social hierarchy. The graduating high school seniors, it's an exhilarating time. They have reached an important milestone and whether it be true or not, are considered adults. If you are an international student that has been applying to U.S. schools then these feelings may be all too familiar to you.
Are you checking the mail everyday, hoping to find a thick envelope with your admission acceptance letter enclosed?! If you have been going through the application process it can be easy to lose focus with all the excitement. You've nearly completed everything! The New York Times posted a great admission checklist for the month of May. Here are some of the highlights, as well as my tips...
- Have you chosen THE university or college that you will be attending? Either way, you need to go through your acceptance letters and politely decline the schools that have accepted you. Make sure you formerly accept the university of your choosing.
- Be appreciative of all the people that have helped you through this process! Trust me, you will need their help and support through your time studying.
- Now that you have chosen your school, read all of the orientation materials they sent you. Many times, you will have to meet with your advisor before registering for classes. One time, a snow storm prevented me from traveling to my university for orientation and I couldn't meet with my advisor until three days into registration! All of the classes I wanted to take were full.
- Get all your documents in order...visa documents, acceptance letters, financial records, transcripts, testing scores, etc.
- And my favorite item on the New York Times checklist - "Pat yourself on the back!"
You did it!
Check Out These Schools
Start your U.S. adventure with Study in the USA
Learn About U.S. education financing, housing, and more
TestDEN's Online TOEFL Test Prep is just what you need to quickly and effectively prepare for the TOEFL test. Since 1998, TestDEN has helped tens of thousands of students raise their TOEFL scores.
MPOWER Financing is the top-rated lender offering international student loans without cosigners, collateral, or credit history for global citizens, PLUS international student scholarships & career coaching! Fully online application, 96% customer...
Join over 6 million people and businesses who get a better deal when they send money with the real exchange rate.
Learn about American culture and education direct from our experts at Study in the USA. Read more