George Mason University
George Mason University (Mason) is located in the safe, suburban city of Fairfax, Virginia, just 24 kilometers outside of Washington, D.C., the nation's capital. As Virginia's largest public research university, Mason provides a college experience like no other.
George Mason University (Mason) is located in the safe, suburban city of Fairfax, Virginia, just 24 kilometers outside of Washington, D.C., the nation's capital. As Virginia's largest public research university, Mason provides a college experience like no other. Mason offers more than 200 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs as well as numerous minors and certificate programs to customize your education and meet your career and personal goals. With over 37,000 students from all 50 U.S. states and more than 130 different countries, Mason is one of the most diverse universities in the United States. Mason is one of only 131 schools in the country designated as a tier one research university by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Mason is at the forefront of emerging fields and is committed to a transformational learning experience that helps students grow as individuals, scholars, and professionals.
- Established in 1972
- Undergraduate enrollment is more than 26,000 and graduate enrollment is close to 11,000
- Student to professor ratio is 17:1
- Average class ranges from 25 to 35 students
- Student-athletes compete in 20 men's and women's NCAA Division I sports
- More than 460 different student clubs and organizations
- Over 6,000 students live on campus in state-of-the-art residence halls
- #39 among top 100 world universities under 50 years old (Times Higher Education, 2020)
- #72 Top Public School in National Universities ranking (U.S. News & World Report, 2020)
- Top 30 most diverse public universities in the U.S. (U.S. News & World Report, 2020)
- The School of Business is #79 in the 2019 list of Best Undergraduate Business Programs according to U.S. News and World Report.
- Mason’s School of Law is ranked #42 in 2021 list of Best Law Schools according to U.S. News and World Report, the youngest law school in the U.S. in the top 50.
- Mason offers bachelor's, master's, and Ph.D. programs in more than 200 areas of study.
- Most popular undergraduate majors include: Business, Computer Science, Engineering, Political Science, Global Affairs, Biological Sciences, Arts, and Psychology.
- Drawing prominent scholars from all fields, Mason's outstanding faculty includes Nobel laureates, Pulitzer Prize winners, and recipients of numerous Fulbright, MacArthur, National Science Foundation, National Endowment for the Arts, and National Endowment for the Humanities grants and awards.
Located 24 kilometers outside of the nation's capital of Washington, D.C., Mason is a short shuttle ride away from the political and cultural center of the country. The city offers a great place to explore and gain valuable educational and professional experiences. Students have access to opportunities with many Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and international organizations just moments away from campus. University Career Services will work with students to critique resumes, prepare for job interviews, and provide individual career counseling.
INTO Mason offers Academic English language instruction as well as undergraduate and graduate pathway programs to international students who are academically prepared, but may need additional English language preparation to succeed at Mason. These programs are designed to help international students with their transition to degree study while also providing a strong support system both academically and socially. Students will learn alongside American peers to earn academic credit towards their degree while developing English, academic and cultural skills. Upon successful completion of an INTO Mason Pathway program, students gain full admission into one of Mason’s participating degree programs to continue their studies.
Our commitment to provide a global education extends to Mason Korea, a part of the Songdo Global University Campus, strategically located 40 kilometers from Seoul, South Korea. Mason offers nine majors, preeminent teaching facilities, a library with state-of-the-art technology, a performing arts center, modern dormitories, faculty apartments, and guest housing. Mason Korea students spend their first and second year in Songdo, their third year in the United States, and the final year in Songdo. The academic staff includes faculty members from current Mason U.S. programs. For more information, please visit masonkorea.gmu.edu.
- Complete the appropriate admissions application and submit the application fee
- Submit proof of English proficiency in the form of standardized English language test scores. A list of accepted examinations and the required minimum scores can be found on our website.
- Submit original secondary school transcripts and results from any leaving certificates or university entrance exams
- Submit official transcripts for each postsecondary educational institution attended
- Submit a course-by-course evaluation from a NACES-approved member for transcripts from all previously-attended international educational institutions.
- For graduate applicants, some programs may require additional documentation (letters of recommendation, portfolio, etc.) or tests (GRE, GMAT). Please check with the academic department to which you are applying.
For more specific information regarding admissions requirements, please visit admissions.gmu.edu.
Contact George Mason University Now
Arts and Humanities, Business, Engineering
Type of School
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsYes
Conditional Admission AvailableNo
Accreditation and CertificationCEA, SACSCOC, AACSB, ABET
Type of HousingResidence Hall, Dormitory
Test ScoresTOEFL: 80+, IELTS: Band 6.5+