Sam Houston State University - Office of International Programs
For more than 130 years, SHSU has been preparing students for meaningful lives of achievement.
Take a Virtual Tour of SHSU
About Sam Houston State University
-The Perfect Place to Study in Texas
Awards & Rankings
- Classified as a “Doctoral Research University” by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education, placing SHSU in top 7% of all U.S. colleges & universities
- The Carnegie Commission on Higher Education classified SHSU as a "Community Engaged" university. This honor was awarded in 2010 to only sixty-one public institutions nationwide and acknowledges the university's significant commitment to serving the community
- Recognized by Princeton Review as one of the “Best in the West” universities
- Wall Street Journal recognized SHSU funded research with the “Innovative Technology” award
- Criminal Justice College ranked in U.S. Top 5, Journal of Criminal Justice
- Undergraduate Math program ranked in U.S. Top 8, Mathematical Association of America
- Ranked 10th among America's “Safest Colleges,” on the Daily Beast news website
Sam Houston State University’s main campus is located in Huntsville, Texas. Huntsville is a city with a population of about 38,000 people, situated on the edge of a national forest.
Sam Houston State University is a student friendly university graced by a beautiful and idyllic campus. In addition, SHSU is a prestigious and affordable university with expert faculty and quality academic programs.
- Total enrollment of 20,000 with 400 international students from 72 countries
- Warm temperature
- Founded in 1879. Rich in tradition
- 25:1 faculty-student ratio
- Prestigious majors including: Industrial Technology, CSI degree, Criminal Justice, Business, Computer, Science, and Education
- Free transportation to area grocery and international markets in Houston
- 24/7 computer lab
- 24/7 Wi-Fi wired campus
- Small town feel with close proximity to Houston and Dallas
- Two agricultural complexes including 1,600 acre teaching & research farm and rodeo arena
- More than 200 student organizations
- Planetarium and observatory
- 32 residence halls and apartments
- State-of-the-art 100,000 sq. ft. Performing Arts Center
- Only school in Texas offering a degree in PGA Golf Management, 1 of 19 in U.S.
- Criminal Justice: Criminal Justice at SHSU is a top criminal justice college and continues to set the national standard for the study of criminal justice in higher education.
- Business: All business degree programs are accredited by AACSB International - The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Computer Science: Innovative program in digital forensics - exemplified by the Center of Excellence in Digital Forensics.
- Forensic Chemistry: The B.S. in Forensic Chemistry is the first of its kind in Texas and prepares our graduates to enter the growing field of forensic chemistry in both private and public arenas and also prepares students to enter graduate schools in forensic science.
- Industrial Management: Graduates are prepared to be active and productive members of a manufacturing team and practice basic supervisory skills used in the development, production and marketing of goods and services.
SHSU Office of International Programs
“Caring for You Like Family”
The Office of International Programs is your home away from home. Due to our size, we are able to provide personalized service to help every international student achieve their full potential and realize their educational goals while studying in the U.S.
We provide services including:
- Experienced Immigration Advising
- Career Advising
- New International Student Orientation
- Welcome services including Airport Pickup, Social Security Office trips
- Weekly trips to area retail stores and malls
- Trips to ethnic grocery stores in Houston on a regular basis
- Outings to NASA, Galveston Island, the Woodlands shopping area, Houston Premium Retail Outlets, NBA games, Rodeo Festival, etc.
- Weekend trips to San Antonio and Dallas
- Cultural activities including Halloween Parties, Christmas Parties, International Week events, and holiday celebrations with community members and SHSU faculty and staff
- International Student Organization and Global Ambassadors Programs
SHSU English Language Institute (ELI)
The ELI teaches English through compassionate classroom instruction and exciting out of classroom learning opportunities.
Upon completion of the ELI program, students will demonstrate the English proficiency necessary to succeed in academic programs and will have conditional admissions to SHSU undergraduate programs and many graduate programs.
The ELI assists students in their cultural adjustment through a professional, respectful, and supportive environment.
The English Language Institute at Sam Houston State University features:
- Conditional admissions to all undergraduate and many graduate programs
- Affordable academic 8-week intensive English Language Program- $2,600 for an 8-week session.
- English for Academic Purposes- English instruction highlighting reading, writing and vocabulary
- Communication classes: listening, speaking, vocabulary, and pronunciation
- Additional instruction in college success skills including note taking, test taking, career exploration, and more.
- Blended learning program emphasizing excellent classroom instruction with online support
- Dedicated and caring ESL instructors with master’s or doctoral degrees
- 5 levels – Upper Beginning, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate, Advanced, University Transition Level
Visit our ELI website:
Business, Computer Science, Criminal Justice
Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsYes
Conditional Admission AvailableYes
Accreditation and CertificationSACSCOC
Type of HousingResidence Hall, Apartment, Dormitory
Test ScoresTOEFL: 70+ , IELTS: Band 6.5+