Towson University - English Language Center (ELC)
Achieve your goals as you develop your skills. Since 1985, Towson University’s English Language Center (ELC) has provided superior language instruction to over 3,000 students representing more than 70 countries. The ELC has an exciting series of classes and laboratory resources to help you strengthen your English skills.
Towson University - English Language Center (ELC)
Nine out of ten students come to us through recommendations from satisfied former students, family, and friends.
About Towson University
- Towson, a public university founded in 1866, is part of the University System of Maryland.
- Towson is the second largest school in the system with approximately 23,000 students.
- Towson offers 65 undergraduate, 41 master, and 4 doctoral degree programs.
- Degree programs include Computer Science, IT, Nursing, Health Sciences, Business and Accounting, Fine Arts, and Education.
- Undergraduate education emphasizes service learning, civic engagement, and internships.
- The campus is located in a safe suburban neighborhood near restaurants, shopping, and entertainment.
- Towson is a beautiful 329 acre campus with sports facilities, library, computer labs, and more.
- A half hour shuttle bus ride gets you to downtown Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, night life, and museums.
Intensive English for Academic Purposes
- Three semesters a year give you time to show progress.
- 15 weeks in fall and spring
- 10 weeks in summer
- Six levels, from Beginners to Advanced and Graduate Level, prepare you for academic success.
- Placement tests for all language skills get you started in the right level.
- Integrated skills classes prepare you for realistic academic university work:
- Reading, Writing, Grammar, Listening, Speaking, Vocabulary, Pronunciation/Phonics, Culture
- Small class sizes ensure that you get individual attention and feedback.
- Free tutoring sessions help you succeed in your classes.
- Certificates are awarded for your successful completion of each semester.
When you feel at home, you’ll do better at school.
English Language Center (ELC) Features
- Your academic progress and comfort in your new home are our number one priority.
- Highly qualified, caring, and experienced teachers and staff do all they can to help you achieve your academic goals and feel comfortable in your new environment.
- Academic, health, and safety orientation meetings help you to adjust to life at Towson.
- Our cultural activities and annual International Festival give you the opportunity to learn about other cultures and to share your own.
- Outreach / volunteer activities enrich your understanding of American culture.
- Trips to different locations every semester give you opportunities for fun, relaxation, and learning.
- You get access to all Towson facilities and services on campus.
- Continuing students have the chance to apply for merit-based scholarships.
Prepare for success
Towson University Pathway
- Applicants for Conditional Admissions must meet Towson University academic requirements.
- Qualified undergraduates who successfully complete our advanced level with a B- (80%) or better can enter Towson University without a TOEFL or IELTS score.
- If you have not completed all advanced level ELC classes, you may enroll in non-degree courses at the university as a part-time student to maintain your visa requirements.
- Upon completion of all ELC classes, you get credit for all the non-degree courses you have passed.
- An academic advisor works with you to guide you through the admissions process.
- The Conversation Partner Program helps you improve your English skills and develop friendships with American and other international students.
- Intercultural courses and events and university class observations prepare you for the academic life and culture at the university.
- TOEFL and IELTS preparation classes are offered every semester for interested students.
- Minimum required scores for acceptance are 80 for TOEFL and 6.0 for IELTS. Plus GRE and GMAT may be required for some majors.
- The ELC offers graduate level preparation classes in intensive Reading / Writing / Grammar and Listening / Speaking / Grammar plus research skills.
- If you are a student in this graduate level English class, your research project prepares you for your specific field of study.
- IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, and GMAT skills are integrated into the above courses.
- You receive academic advising to smooth your transition to the university.
- Downtown Towson is a growing metropolitan center offering housing, entertainment, and shopping geared to the needs of the Towson community.
- Towson is:
- Less than an hour to Washington, DC
- Less than two hours to Philadelphia, a city rich with history
- Less than 3 ½ hours to New York City
- Close to Delaware beaches, Atlantic City, and beautiful national parks
- If you have conditional admission to Towson, you may choose to live in campus housing.
- Off campus housing is less expensive and still convenient:
- Within walking distance of campus
- On the free Towson University shuttle routes
- Meal plans are available to you whether you live on or off campus
English Language (ESL), English for Specific Purposes Programs, Intensive English as a Second Language
Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsYes
Conditional Admission AvailableYes
Accreditation and CertificationEnglishUSA Member
Type of HousingResidence Hall, Apartment