University of Kansas - Applied English Center
KU is a comprehensive research institution with over 190 fields of study, including business, engineering, computer science, journalism, fine arts, architecture, chemistry, pharmacy, and other sciences. AEC students use all KU facilities including libraries, computer laboratories, recreational facilities, and health clinic.
The Applied English Center (AEC), part of the University of Kansas, has 40 years of experience in providing intensive English instruction, preparing students for study in American universities, and helping students participate in American society. We offer:
- five levels of English instruction, 18 hours of English instruction each week
- core courses focusing on speaking & listening, reading & writing, and grammar for communication
- academic and cultural orientation combined with language instruction
- advanced students may enroll in combined AEC and university courses
- university credit for advanced classes
- teacher training course for international graduate students
- conversation groups and modern language laboratory
- field trips to nearby cities and cultural exchanges with community schools
- computer laboratory with Internet and e-mail -- practice in the computer laboratory is a regular part of many courses
- counselors to help students with courses, cultural adjustment, health, family, or academics
The AEC follows the same calendar as the university:
- Fall Semester: August to December
- Spring Semester: January to May
- Summer Session: June to July
Testing and Placement
New students take the AEC's English Language Proficiency Exam. Students are tested again at the end of the session. They receive a report showing test results, course grades, and recommended course placement. Students may request a certificate of participation.
The University of Kansas is a test site for the TOEFL and SPEAK exams.
AEC Instructors and Staff
The Applied English Center (AEC), is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA). The AEC staff includes faculty members, academic counselors, and administrators, as well as graduate teaching assistants and office staff. All faculty members have advanced degrees in the field of teaching English. They are highly trained, with an average of twenty years of teaching experience.
Students may live in a university residence hall or in private, off-campus housing. Residence halls provide meal service, laundry rooms, and social activities.
The University of Kansas
The University of Kansas (KU) has welcomed students from around the world since the 1920s. KU is famous for the strength of its academic programs, a beautiful wooded campus, and an exciting array of cultural and recreational opportunities. KU is home to more than 27,000 students, including about 2,135 international students, and 2,600 faculty members. Visit KU online at ku.edu.
AEC students use all KU facilities including libraries, computer laboratories, recreational facilities, and health clinic.
Lawrence is a quiet city of 90,000 people with a friendly Midwestern atmosphere and a low crime rate. It is located in the northeast corner of Kansas, 40 miles (63 km) west of Kansas City and 30 miles (48 km) east of Topeka, the state capital. The city is surrounded by beautiful wooded hills and river valleys. Kansas has mild springs, hot summers, warm falls, and cold winters. Life in Lawrence is pleasant and inviting.
The Applied English Center designs special programs for sponsored groups. Faculty from other fields, schools, or businesses may assist in program development and instruction. Costs depend on length and design of the program.
The Applied English Center is a member of UCIEP, a consortium of university and college-administered intensive English programs in the United States.
$10,000 — $15,000 Semester
Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsNo
Conditional Admission AvailableNo
Accreditation and CertificationCEA, UCIEP Member
Type of HousingResidence Hall, Apartment, Dormitory