One of the great strengths of American higher education is the ease with which students can transfer from one college or university to another.
Mesa Community College
- School Size
$6,000 - $8,000 Year
- Type of School
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Business, Engineering, English Language (ESL)
Accreditation and Certification
Type of Housing
IELTS: Band 5.5+, TOEFL: 61+, PTE Academic: 45+
- Social Media
Discover Unlimited Opportunities at Mesa Community College!
What are your future dreams and goals? Whether you’re interested in learning English, earning an associate degree, or transferring to a four-year university, our #1 priority is helping you succeed! Recognized as one of the top 150 community colleges in the United States, Mesa Community College is a welcoming, global community attracting students from nearly 60 countries around the world!
MESA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (MCC):
- is a multi-campus college established in 1963, serving nearly 20,000 students per year.
- is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
- has industry accreditations for these innovative programs: Nursing, Dental Hygiene, Child Development Lab, Veterinary Technology/Animal Health, Automotive Technology, Paramedic, and Manufacturing Technology.
- was named a Top 150 U.S. Community College by Aspen Institute!
MESA, ARIZONA IS:
- the 3rd largest city in Arizona and a suburb of Phoenix, the 5th largest city in the United States. In 2019, U.S. News & World Report ranked Metro Phoenix #26 for Best Place to Live in the U.S.!
- close to many year-round recreational activities (e.g. hiking, camping, boating, fishing, kayaking, tubing down the Salt River, golf, cycling, horseback riding, major league baseball spring training, music concerts, etc.) including an amusement/water park just minutes from campus.
- a day trip to the mountains for winter activities such as skiing, snowboarding, and tubing.
- just a day trip to the Grand Canyon, considered to be one of the seven natural wonders of the world and a MUST SEE when you study here!
- Affordable high-quality education,
- Small classes (average size of 20 students) with personalized attention,
- More than 195 programs, degrees, and certificates with flexible scheduling options,
- A two-year associate degree with a seamless transfer to 40 four-year universities to complete your bachelor’s degree. Our top “2+2” transfer institutions include Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University, and University of Arizona,
- An Intensive English program,
- Friendly and helpful faculty with master’s and doctoral degrees,
- Computer labs, free tutoring, disability resources, career services and personalized counseling,
- Over 30 student clubs, sports teams and organizations (including multicultural/ethnic clubs),
- Nearby off-campus housing.
Our multi-faceted Business Department offers programs in Accountancy, Business (with specialties in Business, Business Communication, International Trade, Small Business, & Salesmanship), Fashion Merchandising & Design, and Real Estate.
Computer Information Systems
MCC has a robust Computer Information System program taught by renowned faculty featuring Apple App Development with Swift (designed by Apple engineers & educators), a Networking & Security program, and Multimedia & Game Technology.
Intensive English Program
The mission of the English Language Program at Mesa Community College is to provide students with high-quality language instruction and cultural skills necessary for success in their academic, professional, civic, and personal lives. We accept students at all language levels from beginner to advanced. Students interested in a degree program at MCC who need to improve their English, can start with intensive English classes and then transition into a degree program.
Placement in ESL Classes with Placement Tests
In order to better serve our students and ensure their appropriate placement in the events of online or remote instruction, Mesa Community College is accepting scores from online placement tests as additional multiple placement options. These English language placement tests are not admissions tests, but indicators of students’ most appropriate placement in ESL classes. The following placement tests and scores will be used as additional multiple measures for placement in ESL classes: TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo, CEFR, and CELSA.
|TOEFL||IELTS||Duolingo||CEFR||CELSA||ESL Level MCCCd||Placement|
|0-10||0||0-5||A1||0-7||Level Basic 1||ESL001 Basic English as a Second Language I, RDG008 Phonics|
|11-19||1-1.5||5-10||A1||8-15||Level Basic 2||
ESL 002 Basic English as a Second Language II, RDG 008 Phonics
|20-24||2-2.5||15-25||A1-B1||16-29||Level 1||ESL 010 Grammar, ESL 011 Listening & Speaking, ESL 012 Writing, ESL 014 Idiomatic English, RDG/ESL01, Reading ESL I|
|25-30||3-3.5||30-45||A1-B1||30-38||Level 2||ESL 020 Grammar, ESL 021 Listening & Speaking, ESL 022 Writing, ESL 024 Idiomatic English, RDG/ESL026, Reading ESL II|
|31-34||4-4.5||50-65||B1||39-50||Level 3||ESL 030 Grammar, ESL 031 Listening & Speaking, ESL 032 Writing, ESL 034 Idiomatic English, RDG/ESL036, Reading ESL III|
|35-45||4.5-5||70-85||B1-B2||51-66||Level 4||ESL 040 Grammar, ESL 041 Listening & Speaking, ESL 042 Writing, ESL 044 Idiomatic English, RDG/ESL046, Reading ESL IV|
|50 and above||5.5 and above||90 and above||B2||67-75||Transitional||
Take Accuplacer/Writeplacer English and Reading tests for placement into English, ESL or Reading courses
Fall Semester (classes begin in mid-August): July 1
Spring Semester (classes begin in mid-January): November 1
1833 West Southern Avenue
Mesa AZ 85202-4866
P: (480) 461 - 7756
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Animal Science
- Apparel and Textile Design
- Applied Engineering Sciences
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Statistics
- Art History
- Arts and Design
- Arts and Humanities
- Arts/Music Camps & Programs
- Astrophysics and Astronomy
- Automotive Technology
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Business Administration
- Business Analytics
- Business Information Systems
- Child Development
- Computer Science
- Construction Management
- Creative Writing
- Criminal Justice
- Cyber Security
- Digital Recording Arts
- Earth Science
- English Language (ESL)
- English Literature
- Environmental Studies and Sustainability
- Executive and Professional
- Foreign Language Teaching
- Forensic Science
- General English Programs
- General Management
- Geographic Information Science
- Geological Sciences
- Graphics/Multimedia & Web Design
- Health and Wellness
- Human Development and Family Studies
- Information Technology
- International Business
- Liberal Arts
- Media and Information Studies
- Natural Science
- Nutritional Sciences
- Pathway Program
- Political Science
- Public Relations
- Social Work
- Studio Art
- University Transfer
- Veterinary Technology
- Video and Audio Production
- Video Game Design
- Women's and Gender Studies
- English Language (ESL)
- Intensive English as a Second Language
Updated: Aug 31, 2020
Updated: Apr 20, 2015
Xiaoyang Zhang, from China, is studying Business Management at Mesa Community College (MCC) in Mesa, Arizona. He plans to transfer to Arizona State University.