Taking a vacation to the United States is an endless adventure! There is so much to see and do, but why not take advantage of your time in the USA to improve your English?
Texas Christian University
- School Size
- Type of School
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Business, Engineering, Biology
Accreditation and Certification
SACSCOC, AACSB, ABET
Type of Housing
Residence Hall, Apartment, Dormitory
TOEFL: 80+, IELTS: Band 6.5+, Duolingo: 110+
- Social Media
Opportunities for You
The Intensive English Program (IEP) at TCU offers students from around the world exciting opportunities in English language learning and instruction, and students receive the unique benefits of studying at a major US university.
- Advanced level students may enroll in university courses for degree credit
- All academically qualified IEP students are provided conditional admission to any TCU Bachelor’s Degree program --- no TOEFL required! TCU offers more than 120 areas of study
- A single application serves both the IEP and the degree program of TCU, and one form I-20 works for both programs
IEP enrollment is limited at TCU. Our classes are small with only 15 students per class, so instruction is personalized to your individual language needs. Your teachers will help you rapidly develop your English writing, reading, vocabulary, listening, speaking, and grammar skills. You will begin at your level --- whether that means starting as a beginner or improving as an intermediate or advanced student. In addition, robust student programming will allow you to practice English in creative ways.
- Eight-week long sessions start in January, March, May, August, and October.
- One four-week long session begins in July
- Students study intensively for 20 hours per week with an F-1 full-time Student Visa
A Team of Professionals
Members of our core teaching team are native English Speakers with master’s degrees and extensive university teaching experience. In addition, each instructor has travelled abroad and has studied a second language. The English teachers are committed to making sure every student has a productive and satisfying experience in the IEP at TCU. Our staff advocates for international students and connects students to resources in the campus and local community.
Learning English happens both inside and outside of the classroom! Out students participate in a variety of activities.
- The Conversation Partners Program pairs IEP students with TCU undergraduate students and allows you to practice English with a native speaker while learning more about US culture
- The IEP Women’s Club encourages female student to support each other through meals, community service, exercise classes, and more
- The IEP Student Leaders create programs for students and allow students to develop leadership skills. Visit our Facebook Page to see what the students are doing this week
- In addition, TCU offers diverse activities from sporting events, movie nights, lectures, and more!
Texas Christian University
Founded in 1873, TCU is a private university located in Fort Worth, Texas. The university limits its total undergraduate and graduate enrollment to approximately 10,000 students so that personalized programs and services can be provided to all students.
TCU, ranked one of the top 100 universities in the US by US News and World Report, offers undergraduate and graduate programs in more than 100 areas including business, engineering (ranked #47 in the US), communications, education, fine arts, music, humanities, social sciences, health, nursing, physical sciences, divinity, and ranch management. Our business school is exceptionally well known in the US, ranked #1 for faculty by The Economist magazine and ranked #27 overall by Bloomberg Businessweek. With its long-standing reputation for excellence in academic teaching and research, TCU is accredited by SACS and numerous programmatic associations.
Although TCU was founded by a Christian denomination, it is an independent institution and attracts students and faculty from many different cultures and faiths. Religious instruction is not a component of the IEP curriculum.
Distinctive University Features
- A beautiful campus within walking distance of stores, restaurants, and banks
- Three miles from downtown Fort Worth, 25 miles from D/FW International Airport, and 35 miles from Dallas
- Dormitory rooms, equipped with state-of-the-art computer and telephone connections; affordable apartments are also available within walking distance of campus
- Over 150 student organizations (including several international student groups)
- A full range of recreational activities including swimming pools, weight rooms, tennis courts, gymnasiums, and racquetball courts
- 12 free bachelor’s degree “foreign language” credits for using a language other than English in a successful year of high school or college study
- TCU’s mission: To educate individuals to think and act as ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community
The City of Fort Worth, Texas, USA
The Fort Worth-Dallas area, known locally as the Metroplex, is the ninth largest metropolitan area in the United States. Newsweek magazine recognizes Fort Worth as one of America’s top cities. Fort Worth is a sophisticated urban environment highlighted by:
- A safe, family-oriented atmosphere.
- "The best of the west" in the historic Stockyard District with rodeos, western museums and railroad tours.
- Cultural opportunities including world-class art museums, Texas’ oldest opera company, a symphony orchestra, ballet, and live theater
- International cultural exchanges with seven sister cities on four different continents
- Spacious parks and botanical gardens to enjoy in our warm, mild climate
- Affordable entertainment at the Fort Worth Zoo, amusement parks, professional sports arenas, the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, and more!
TCU Box 297720
Fort Worth TX 76129
- Arts and Humanities
- Environmental Studies and Sustainability
- Liberal Arts
- English Language (ESL)
- IELTS in the USA
- Summer Intensive English
- TOEFL and University Preparation
- Summer Intensive English
Updated: Aug 19, 2020
Updated: Jul 15, 2020
With so many great cities across the country, it can be difficult to decide on a single location to study. One city full of opportunity is Austin, Texas. Austin has an abundance of schools with great educational programs, a rich, diverse culture and incredible entertainment options.
Updated: Feb 15, 2017
Alan LI, from China, completed the Intensive English Program at Texas Christian University and is now a freshman, majoring in Business at the University.