University of Tennessee at Martin
Intensive English Program
Located in a small, safe community, The University of Tennessee at Martin is a primary campus of The University of Tennessee System.
The Tennessee Intensive English Program is a division of The University of Tennessee at Martin. Located in a small, safe community, The University of Tennessee at Martin is a primary campus of The University of Tennessee System. With approximately 6,300 full-time students, UT-Martin offers over 80 undergraduate majors and five majors at the graduate level. All programs are fully accredited by professional accrediting associations.
The Tennessee Intensive English Program, established in 1975, has some unique advantages for the serious international student.
- TIEP has a full-time staff of 13 professionals to serve the instructional and administrative needs of international students. Unlike most programs, we do not employ part-time teachers or use graduate students. Teachers are expected to work with students both in and outside of the classroom.
- Eight week terms begin each year in January, March, May, August and October.
- The TOEFL is waived into degree programs for students who complete our Level 6 successfully
- The curriculum consists of six levels. Each level consists of 20 to 25 hours per week of classes in speaking/listening, oral grammar, reading and writing.
- At the end of each term, we give an institutional TOEFL. Results are available to students the same day. UT Martin is also an internet-based TOEFL center (iBT).
- We offer free airport transportation only on the date specified on your I-20. We will meet you at the at the Memphis International Airport, transport you to campus in a chartered bus free of charge, and help you settle into your dormitory.
- TIEP is located in the most modern classroom building on the campus. UT-Martin has 44 major academic and administrative buildings, two swimming pools, 23 tennis courts, a mile and one half jogging trail, a golf driving range, and numerous other facilities.
- TIEP class sizes average 8-12 students to a class.
- On weekends, the Office of International Programs and Admissions sponsors field trips for camping, canoeing, shopping, visits to historical sites and to other places. Over vacations, we often sponsor ski trips to the mountains or winter tours of Florida.
- There are many campus residence halls at an affordable rate of $1300 per semester ($650 per eight-week term).
- Tuition in the program is $2,200.00 for each eight week session, in addition to mandatory fees of about $350 per eight-week term. Meal plans are available from the University Cafeteria. And, the cost of off-campus housing is moderate.
- The area has warm, humid summers, pleasant and colorful falls, generally mild winters and an early spring. UT-Martin appeals to students who enjoy sports and outdoor activities. Our 260 international students from more than 30 different countries, are also active in the University's many sports, social and academic clubs.
- Many spend early evenings and weekends at the new Student Recreation Center.
To enter the Tennessee Intensive English Program, you:
- Do not need a TOEFL
- Must be at least 17 years of age
- Must submit a high school diploma, an application and an application fee and a copy of your passport. You must send a financial statement proving you have enough to live and study in the US.
To enter degree programs, you:
- Must submit a 61 on the TOEFL iBT or 6.0 IELTS _or_
- Pass our Level 6 successfully (then the TOEFL is waived)
- Fill out an application, send high school transcripts, a financial statement and a copy of your passport.
TIEP is a member of The University Consortium of Intensive English Programs, The American Association of Intensive English Programs, The National Association for Foreign Student Affairs, Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, and other professional associations.
Type of School
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsNo
Conditional Admission AvailableYes
SettingCity, Small/College town
Accreditation and CertificationEnglishUSA Member, UCIEP Member
Type of HousingResidence Hall