Long Island University (LIU), Brooklyn Campus - English Language Institute
The English as a Second Language (ESL) program at Long Island University (LIU) in downtown Brooklyn, New York, offers students the opportunity to improve their English in all skill areas: Conversation & Listening, Reading & Vocabulary, Grammar, and Writing.
Study English in the heart of Brooklyn, New York!
The English as a Second Language (ESL) program at Long Island University (LIU) in downtown Brooklyn, New York, offers students the opportunity to improve their English in all skill areas: Conversation & Listening, Reading & Vocabulary, Grammar, and Writing. Our experienced and professional instructors will help you focus on the areas of English that you need to improve. You will be able to further practice your skills in our Computer Laboratory (open 5 days a week for ESL students), free tutorials, free conversation workshops, study room, university library (open 7 days a week), and Media Center.
Each semester runs for a total of 14 weeks of classes and a one-week break. Classes are taught four hours each day, Monday to Thursday, with schedules either in the morning, afternoon, or evening. We also offer part-time courses that meet for 4, 8, or 12 hours per week. We offer 9 levels of English, from Beginner to Advanced, and University Preparation.
You can further improve your English by taking a variety of elective courses such as Pronunciation Practice, Job Preparation, Business English, and Phrasal Verbs, among others.
If it’s test preparation that you need, look no further! LIU Brooklyn offers both full-time and part-time TOEFL and IELTS Preparation Courses for intermediate and advanced level students.
The English Language Institute also offers both short- and long-term courses for Au Pairs, as well as Half- and Quarter semester options for students who may not be able to study for a full semester.
About LIU’s English Language Institute
In its over 35 years of service, the English Language Institute at the Brooklyn Campus of Long Island University offers one of the largest and best-respected English programs in New York City. Here students will find:
- Experienced, professional teachers with advanced degrees in English language education
- Intensive, Semi-Intensive and Specific Skills courses
- Exam preparation courses for TOEFL and IELTS, both full-time and part-time
- Pronunciation Practice, Business English, Job Preparation, and other specialized elective courses
- A friendly, helpful multilingual staff
- A state-of-the-art multimedia language laboratory
- Free one-on-one tutorials
- Free conversation workshops
- Study Room & access to the University Library (7 days a week)
- F-1(student) visa eligibility
- Financial aid for eligible students
- Specialized courses for Au Pairs
- Half-Semester (7 week) courses
- Quarter-Semester (4 week) courses
Students at the English Language Institute have access to all Brooklyn Campus facilities including:
- University Library
- On-Campus Restaurants and Cafes
- The Kumble Theatre for the Performing Arts
- State-of-the-art wellness center which includes a gym, Olympic-sized swimming pool, and fitness classes
LIU is located in the heart of downtown Brooklyn, New York. From the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens to the Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Bridge, Junior’s delicatessen with its award-winning cheesecakes, Coney Island, and Dekalb Market Hall, Brooklyn has a lot to offer!
Contact Long Island University (LIU), Brooklyn Campus - English Language Institute Now
Health and Wellness, Nursing, Pharmacology and Toxicology
Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsNo
Conditional Admission AvailableYes
Accreditation and CertificationMSCHE
Type of HousingResidence Hall, Apartment, Dormitory
Test ScoresTOEFL: 70+ , IELTS: Band 6+