Metropolitan College of New York
Metropolitan College of New York is a private, independent, not for profit institution of higher education.
At Metropolitan College of New York, we offer a wide variety of accredited undergraduate and graduate majors and innovative programs. Studying in the heart of Manhattan provides our students everything they need within a matter of minutes. To add to the richness already found in the largest city in North America, we pride ourselves on selecting a diverse population of unique students from various countries around the world
Metropolitan College of New York is a private, independent, not for profit institution of higher education. Since its founding over fifty years ago, the College’s mission is to provide a superior, experientially-based education that fosters personal and professional development, promote social justice, and encourage positive change in workplaces and communities. In addition to being acknowledged as the college of choice for experiential learning and applied scholarship we strongly value:
- Integrity: Establishing and maintaining the highest standards.
- Innovation: Identifying and implementing creative opportunities to provide quality programs and services.
- Empowerment: Assisting ourselves and others to become more effective and productive.
- Diversity: Actively promoting and supporting a community of different people and ideas.
MCNY has developed highly academic programs that prepare students to become critical thinkers and effective communicators so that they can contribute to their organizations and their communities. What makes us so unique are:
- Our curriculum that allows students to attend full-time and complete faster
- Our mature, focused student population
- Our knowledgeable faculty with current professional field experience
- Our array of undergraduate and graduate degree programs
Accelerated Study Options
Perseverance and purpose are two qualities that describe the typical MCNY student. The College is a place for people who know what they want from their education and are willing to work hard to get it, quickly. MCNY has developed a curriculum that allows students to graduate in less time than other colleges. It’s not easy, but it’s definitely worth it.
Our international students pursue their education full-time to meet their SEVIS I-20 and F-1 student visa requirements. Because of our accelerated programs and the fact that we offer a three-semester year, students can earn:
- An Associate’s Degree in Human Services, Business or Emergency Management & Business Continuity within 1 year and 4 months through eight consecutive semesters of study;
- A Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Human Services, Healthcare Systems Management or Emergency Management & Business Continuity within 3 years through eight consecutive semesters of study (or even less with applicable transfer credits);
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Affairs and Administration, or Education within one year through three consecutive semesters of study.
MCNY professors don’t just teach, they are successful working professionals with years of relevant experience. Our Offices of Student Services, Career Services and the Registrar are here year round to support all of our students with their academic and personal needs. International students on the F-1 visa may be eligible for work authorization after completing their degree program to gain professional work experience related to their studies for up to one additional calendar year in the US.
MCNY College Profile (Fall 2015)
- Total Enrollment: 1195
- Undergraduate Enrollment: 779
- Graduate Enrollment: 416
- International Student Enrollment: 53
- Males: 28%, Females: 72%
- Student – Faculty ratio: 10:1
- Faculty: Full-Time 27, Part-Time 236
- Number of countries represented on your campus: 26 (Based on International Students Birth Country)
- List the top five countries represented on your campus: India, Germany, Turkey, Algeria, Pakistan (Based on International Students Birth Country)
MBA International Practicum Course
The MBA programs at MCNY have an international field study experience in their curricula and the experience is an inherent part of these curricula. This action-oriented experience is tailored to ensure that students have the opportunity to work collaboratively in a pan-cultural environment in which they are exposed to new cultures and given the opportunity to explore them. Students enrolled in the MBA programs (Media Management, Financial Services or General Management) will participate in the trip based on their credits completed and academic progress.
The programs’ goal is to immerse students in the global business environment and students participation are required as this is necessary to develop and apply the skills required to work effectively in the global economy. As part of the required international practicum course, students will be afforded the opportunity to work in a consultative capacity with an operating enterprise to address one or more existing business challenges. Specifically, the goals of this program are three-fold:
- To immerse students in two different cultures to apply the cumulative knowledge and skills acquired from the MBA program in an international setting
- To allow students to work in a group setting within a multicultural global context
- To apply the theoretical frameworks in a consultative capacity to solve real business issues and challenges.
Students will be working in teams and team members will be determined by course instructor(s) and Program Director. Teams will be assigned in Marketing, Finance, Management & Change, Planning, Management Information Systems, and Legal and Regulatory. There may be more than one team in specific areas. At the end of the course, students will be responsible for presenting two documents; one is a comprehensive written report with all of the information detailed in the project, as well as a summary report that reflects the major elements of their findings. Additionally, work from the trip is also included in the students’ final project, constructive action.
There are two trips per year; students can only participate in one of them, and that is determined by their standing in the program. The trip is 10 days long. Prior trips have gone to Zurich, Switzerland, London, England, Frankfurt, Germany and Paris, France. The College may change the dates and location of the trip at its discretion. If the College is forced to cancel the trip because of extenuating circumstances, an alternate assignment will be provided for credit.
To effectively fulfill the academic requirements of the study abroad program, the business degree programs has partner with Language Study International (LSI), Berenberg Bank, Deutsche Bank, Ogilvy & Mather, AHK, Helab Landesbank, The CityUK, Soho Artists, Frankfurt School of Finance & Management, Regents College London, etc. to assist in the delivery of academic and non academic content.
International Student Housing Options
We do not provide on-campus housing, but we help refer students to available housing options within the NY tri-state area.
International undergraduate students are eligible for scholarships of up to $6,800 for the duration of a chosen program. Graduate students are eligible for scholarships of up to $6,000 for the MBA and MSED programs and $8,000 for the MPA programs. Scholarship consideration is based on merit, test scores, recommendation letters and other criteria. Consideration will be given to all applicants who submit all required materials before application deadlines.
Student Activities and Campus Life
There is a lot to see and do beyond academics, and MCNY provides activities, resources, and leadership opportunities for students outside of the classroom. We believe that the learning and opportunities outside of the classroom are an integral part of your education. Getting involved is one decision you won't regret! So come on out to enjoy and participate along with other students.
Type of School
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsYes
Conditional Admission AvailableYes
Accreditation and CertificationACBSP , MSCHE
Type of HousingNo housing available