The College of Chicago
At The College of Chicago we provide English language programs that both completely immerse the students in English and introduce them to Chicago’s diverse cultural experiences.
At The College of Chicago we provide English language programs that both completely immerse the students in English and introduce them to Chicago’s diverse cultural experiences. There are many activities to do after class throughout the year, you can walk a short distance to ice skate at the Millennium Park in January, lie on the Lake Michigan beaches in July, or browse over 300,000 works of art at the world famous Art Institute of Chicago anytime of the year.
Students receive excellent listening, speaking, reading, and writing instruction, giving them the confidence needed to achieve their American dreams, such as attending American universities and reaching their professional goals. If you enjoy personalized classrooms with fewer students and more individual time with your teacher, we are the right place for you!
- Downtown Chicago Location. Our location in the heart of Chicago gives you the best experience of metropolitan Chicago, as there are many cafés, restaurants, shops, museums, and parks within walking distance.
- Small Class Sizes. Our individualized classrooms provide the opportunity for daily 1-on-1 student-teacher interactions, making you an active learner.
- Dedicated Teachers. Our teachers spend countless hours preparing lessons to support your academic, cultural, and professional growth.
- Comprehensive Curriculum. Our curriculum mixes all the essential parts of English learning together: reading, listening, speaking, writing, vocabulary, and grammar.
- A Diverse Student Body. Our cultural melting pot gives you many chances to meet new and interesting friends from all over the world!
- Certificates of Completion. Every student who finishes our program will receive a certificate of completion.
- Supporting Staff. Our staff will help you overcome the difficulties of living in a new country and will provide support as you reach your goals.
- Approvals. The institution is approved by the Illinois Board of Higher Education, Division of Private Business & Vocational Schools, and is an official ETS certified TOEFL iBT test administration site.
Facilities, Student Service, and Activities
- Assistance in completing your student Visa application and transfer counseling;
- Assistance in completing applications to American colleges and universities;
- Professional goal counseling;
- Free Wi-Fi internet on-site and computer lab resources;
- Student lounge area on campus, and
- Student activities: field trips to museums, festivals, sports games, local restaurants, etc.
English as a Second Language Program (ESL)
Students are fully immersed in American English while studying in our ESL program. The program will prepare you for working or socializing in an English-speaking environment, and will teach you American culture and the necessary skills to communicate in English with confidence. We have different levels available for every student from Beginning to Advanced.
You will receive 18 hours of instruction per week, from Monday to Thursday. You can choose to take either day or evening classes.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Preparation Program
The TOEFL Preparation Program is perfect for students who need a TOEFL score to enter an American college or university, or to fulfill professional requirements. The program includes classroom instruction hours, lab simulation practices, and training on critical thinking skills. Since our program is designed to prepare you for college-level classes, you will learn more than just test-taking skills (e.g., presentation, research, and workshop skills).
You will receive 22 hours of instruction per week, Monday to Thursday, including lab hours. You can choose to take either day or evening classes.
What are our students saying about COC?
"I really enjoyed my days at The College of Chicago with my excellent instructors and awesome classmates. It meant a lot to me. It was also a great help for me to get into universities. According to my own experiences, I'll tell you this: if you are new to America and are willing to take your first step towards success, The College of Chicago is just the right place for you.”
"When I try to say something about The College of Chicago, only the best thing comes to my mind. I've been here for 10 months or so, when I started there my English wasn't good and now I'd say I can understand people and put my dreams into reality. I just want to say this school has amazing teachers, awesome location and offers you a lot of opportunities to do whatever you want to do." -Manuel (Columbia)
English Language (ESL), TOEFL and University Preparation
Type of School
Intensive English Program
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsNo
Conditional Admission AvailableNo
Type of HousingHomestay, Apartment