Georgia Institute of Technology
With more than 18,000 students, Georgia Tech is one of the largest universities in Georgia.
The Georgia Institute of Technology is located in the city of Atlanta. With a metropolitan population of 5 million, Atlanta is one of the largest and most historic cities in the Southeast United States. CNN, Coca-Cola Headquarters, Turner Field, Centennial Olympic Park, the Georgia Aquarium, Six Flags Amusement Park, and the High Museum of Art are a few of the attractions you will find in the city. Atlanta has an active music scene that includes the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, well-known music festivals and a wide variety of concert venues. Atlanta's professional sports teams include baseball, football, and basketball. Atlanta boasts one of the busiest airports in the world, with hundreds of daily non-stop flights to nearly 200 domestic and international cities.
Georgia Institute of Technology
The Georgia Institute of Technology, called Georgia Tech informally, is located in the Midtown area of Atlanta and is close to Atlanta's public transportation system. With more than 25,000 students, Georgia Tech is one of the largest universities in Georgia. It was founded in 1885 and today is well known for its engineering and science programs. It is ranked among the ten best American public universities according to US News & World Report.
In addition to its strong academic reputation, Georgia Tech has outstanding facilities for students on campus including numerous research libraries, a student health center, a state-of-the-art athletic center, and an active student center. Georgia Tech has a strong commitment to internationalization, with nearly 6,000 students from all over the world. There are many international student organizations on campus, various cultural activities, and an active Office of International Education.
The Language Institute
The Language Institute was started as an intensive language program on the Georgia Tech campus in 1958 to help students prepare for academic work at an American university. Since that time, the Language Institute has developed its curriculum to provide an effective learning experience for students, scholars, and professionals. With the wide variety of course offerings, students can improve their skills for educational, professional, or social goals. The Language Institute has several programs in English as a second language, including:
- Eight-Week Intensive English Program
- Three-Week Short Courses in January, May, and July
- Courses for Georgia Tech Graduate Students
- Academic and Professional Workshops
- Online Program (MOOCs)
- Custom Courses for Groups
Intensive English Program (IEP)
- Five eight-week sessions a year
- Twenty hours of class per week
- Seven levels of instruction from beginning to advanced
- Core courses in speaking/listening, writing, reading, and grammar
- Elective courses in TOEFL preparation, IELTS preparation, and GRE/GMAT preparation
- Specific Purpose courses in pronunciation, business communication, current events, movie making, drama, and conversation
- Small class size (average of 15 students) with students from over 35 countries
- Certificates for successful completion of levels
IEP Student Services and Extra-Curricular Activities
- Assistance with college applications, recommendation letters, housing, cultural adjustment, immigration advice, and academic advising.
- Access to libraries, the student health center, and the state-of-the-art athletic facilities on campus
- Activities for students outside the classroom, including events on campus, parties, a conversation partner program, sports outings, dinners, college fair, and hiking trips in the North Georgia mountains
IEP Housing Options for Students in the Intensive English Program
- On-campus dormitory in Spring and Summer sessions only
- Private dormitory conveniently located near the Language Institute year around
- American homestays year around
- Off-campus apartments year around
Language Institute Facilities
- Three multi-media labs
- Wireless access
- Student lounge
The Faculty and Staff
Our experienced and qualified instructors have advanced degrees in ESL or related fields. They use current teaching methods that encourage students to practice English for real situations outside the classroom. Our staff includes an administrative manager, a registration coordinator, a student advisor and a technology specialist for students.
Type of School
University/Intensive English Program
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsNo
Conditional Admission AvailableNo
Accreditation and CertificationCEA, EnglishUSA Member, UCIEP Member
Type of HousingResidence Hall, Homestay, Apartment, Dormitory