Florida International University Global First Year
- School Size
- Type of School
- Student Body Gender
- Religious Affiliation
- Scholarships for International Students
- Conditional Admission Available
Engineering, Hospitality and Tourism, International Business
Type of Housing
Residence Hall, Dormitory
TOEFL: 60+, IELTS: Band 5+, iTEP: 3.4
- Social Media
As Miami's first and only public research university, offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees, FIU is worlds ahead in its service to the academic and local community. Designated as a top-tier research institution R1 Classification by Carnegie Research, FIU emphasizes research as a major component in the university's mission.
Only 2% of universities can say that! As one of the best young universities in the world by Times Higher Education, FIU has a student body of nearly 57,000, of which 41,000 are undergraduate. FIU is among the top 10 largest universities in the nation and have collectively graduated more than 220,000 panther alumni. Florida International University will be a leading urban public research university focused on student learning, innovation, and collaboration.
FIU has an extremely diverse representation of over 3,700 international students from 140 countries.
FIU's main campus Modesto A. Maidique is located in Miami and FIU's second campus Biscayne Bay, which houses the Chaplin School of Hospitality and Tourism Management and more, is found in North Miami Beach.
Miami: Global. Entrepreneurial. Vibrant. Active.
Miami’s vibrant beaches, culture, food and festivals attract people from around the world. At FIU, you’ll take classes and make friends with students from countries around the globe in the spectacularly lush settings of our Modesto A. Maidique and Biscayne Bay campuses. Have an afternoon off? South Beach, the gorgeous Atlantic Ocean, Everglades National Park and downtown Miami all lie only 30 minutes away from campus. With New York City, Central America and South America just short flights away, Miami is your gateway to adventure.
Miami is a tropical paradise and an urban hub with many diverse and interconnected neighborhoods to explore.
You can investigate the stunning coastlines found in Key Biscayne and Miami Beach, dance salsa and sip Cuban coffee in Little Havana or visit the vibrant spaces of Wynwood, an unconventional art community boasting more than 70 galleries and museums. Greater Miami also showcases its art, culture and history through groundbreaking museums such as the Perez Art Museum, the Philip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science, the Institute of Contemporary Art and the stunning Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.
Miami hosts some of the most impressive global events in the country, including Art Basel, an international contemporary art fair attracting over 4,000 artists from 31 countries that electrifies Miami every year. It’s also common to spot famous celebrities at major global events such as the Ultra Music Festival, Calle Ocho, Miami Fashion Week and the Miami Open.
Above all, don’t forget to pack your flip-flops—you’ll need them for the beaches all year long. Experience the best of all worlds: a vibrant international community, a thriving business hub and year-round tropical weather.
- Top 100 Public Universities — U.S. News & World Report, 2019
- FIU is ranked the #2 public university in the state —Florida Board of Governors 2018 performance scores
- Ranked among the Top Hospitality Schools in the World and the #1 Hospitality School in the Southeast U.S. — QS World University Rankings, 2019
- #6 Undergraduate International Business Program — U.S. News & World Report, 2019
- 24 programs in the TOP 100 Public Universities — U.S. News & World Report, 2019
- A Top Tier Research University in the nation, R1: Doctoral Universities Highest Research Activity — Carnegie Research
- #1 FIU’s Model U.N. team’s rank in North America — bestdelegate.com, 2019
- #1 in the nation for awarding bachelor’s and master’s degrees to Hispanic students
- The only underwater research laboratory in the world. The Aquarius Reef Base, located 63 feet below the surface in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, is operated by FIU.
- 81 Fulbright Scholars to date at FIU
"FIU has given me an experience which has helped me be who I am now. Every second spent here, be it in class, library, housing quad, residential building, or Global First year Office, it has provided me an exposure to the world and the happenings in it. It has challenged me in every sphere and the experiences and learnings I have gained has taken me a step forward to reach my goal. At FIU, you find people who motivate you. It is a place for opportunities and here, you learn to grab the opportunity to be world’s ahead."
Himanshi from India
Major: Psychology and Communications.
Class of 2019, FIU Global First Year student
"FIU has offered me so many amazing opportunities from on campus organizations to my hospitality internship in Miami Beach. FIU has been a place for me to network and grow as a student and has prepared me to become a successful professional."
Natalie from El Salvador
Major: Hospitality Management
Class of 2018, FIU Global First Year student
11200 S.W. 8th Street
Miami FL 33199
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Business Analytics
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Construction Management
- Criminal Justice
- Digital Recording Arts
- Earth Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Studies and Sustainability
- Foreign Language Teaching
- Geological Sciences
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Hospitality Business Management
- Human Resource Management
- Information Technology
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- International Business
- International Relations
- Marketing and Communications
- Mass Communications
- Political Science
- Public Health
- Public Relations
- Social Work
- Sports Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Women's and Gender Studies