Jacksonville State University
English Language Institute
Academic Excellence, Friendly People, a Beautiful Setting... All this and more make Jacksonville State University's English Language Institute a great place to study.
JSU's English Language Institute-Where You’re Going!
Academic Excellence, Friendly People, a Beautiful Setting...
All this and more make Jacksonville State University's English Language Institute a great place to study. If you are ready to improve your English, the English Language Institute (ELI) at JSU is where you are going!
- Our academic English courses prepare you well for study in American universities.
- Classes are small and are taught by experienced faculty.
- The ELI provides up-to-date, comfortable facilities, including two computer labs and an activity room.
- We have reasonably-priced tuition and low cost of living.
- Students enjoy frequent cultural activities, field trips, and social events.
- ELI students have access to JSU facilities, including library, computer labs, health center, and recreational facilities with pool, weight rooms, ping pong, tennis and racquet ball courts.
- ELI students can attend JSU events--athletics, concerts, lectures, plays.
- Our Conversation Partners program introduces international students to American students and allows them to practice natural conversation outside of an academic setting.
- Jacksonville is a pleasant place to live, with shopping, nature, and outdoor activities.
The English Language Institute is located on the campus of Jacksonville State University, in a beautiful area of Alabama. A blend of modern and old, the city of Jacksonville is a charming Southern town rich in history. The University has a state-of-the-art campus with over 50 undergraduate majors and 24 graduate majors. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, JSU has over 9,200 students. JSU is about an hour's drive away from Birmingham, Alabama, and about two hours from Huntsville, Alabama, and Atlanta, Georgia.
The English Language Institute (ELI) offers non-credit classes in English as a Second Language for international students who want to improve their English.
The ELI currently offers beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels of English as a Second Language instruction with 20-24 hours of instruction each week. The focus of instruction is on developing academic writing, listening and speaking skills. Students also study American pronunciation and culture and practice critical reading and writing skills in English. Classes in TOEFL and IELTS preparation are offered as well.
Classes are small, with most having 10-15 students, allowing for much individualized instruction and individual attention.
Teachers and Staff
Our ESL teachers are experienced, dedicated, and well-qualified, with masters or doctoral degrees in English as a Second Language or related fields. Our staff also includes a director, international programs coordinator, secretary, project assistants, and student workers.
ELI Academic Calendar 2015
The ELI offers six sessions yearly. Please apply at least six weeks before the starting date of the term in which you want to study.
|Summer I||2015||May 4 – June 17|
|Summer II||2015||June 22-August 5|
|Fall I||2015||August 24-October 15|
|Fall II||2015||October 19-December 16|
Costs Per Session (Prices Subject To Change)
|Housing||$1340.00 (includes $150 application fee)|
|Meal Plan||$688.00 (estimate)|
|Student ID fee||$10.00|
|Express mail of I-20||$75.00|
Students generally spend $200-300 monthly on personal expenses.
ELI Admission Requirements
- You must have graduated from high school.
- You must be 18 years of age.
- You need to have a basic knowledge of English.
Admission to Jacksonville State University
JSU requires a 61 on the internet-based TOEFL, plus proof of high school graduation for international admission. Once ELI students score 61 or higher on the internet-based TOEFL or 5.5 on the IELTS, ELI staff will assist students with the admission process to JSU. JSU also offers undergraduate conditional admission to ELI students. Students who successfully complete the advanced level of ELI classes may apply and register for undergraduate classes at JSU without an English-language proficiency test score.
The ELI will custom design a program for your group's special needs or interests. Among the programs we can provide are these:
- Short term professional development in the teaching of English as a second language for international educators
- Short term study of English for special purposes, such as business or medicine
- Customized summer programs for international high school students who would like to study English and American culture
Join Us Today!!
Since its start in 2004, the ELI has welcomed students from over 40 countries around the world as they have learned English for academic, professional, and personal success. If you would like to study with us, just fill out an application form, provide a financial statement, and send in your $35 application fee! We will quickly send you an I-20.
The ELI wants to be where you’re going!
Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Psychology
Type of School
Intensive English Program
Student Body GenderCo-ed
Religious AffiliationNo Affiliation
Scholarships for International StudentsNo
Conditional Admission AvailableYes
Accreditation and CertificationSACS
Type of HousingApartment, Dormitory
Test ScoresTOEFL: 60+, IELTS: Band 5.5+