Next Available Start Dates
Aug 24, 2020 Choose
An economics degree serves as sound preparation for careers in business, law, public administration and finance. The SUNY Plattsburgh business economics program prepares students for employment as well as advanced work at M.B.A. or Ph.D. levels. Our goal is to educate students for successful careers in financial management and investment banking through a careful balance between theory and hands-on learning.
What Will I Learn?
Learn to think critically and to engage in abstract reasoning
Obtain gainful employment in the area of economics:
Economics is one of the fastest growing and highest paid careers available today
Jobs in economics are plentiful in both the public and private sectors
Pursue an advanced degree (M.A. or Ph.D.) in economics. Several of our former students are now working on Ph.D.’s at Cornell, University at Albany, University at Buffalo and West Virginia University
What is Unique About Our Program?
Hundreds of very successful graduates working in New York City, Boston, throughout the U.S. and around the world.
Designated as a STEM program; up to 3 years of post-completion work authorization in the U.S.
Outside the classroom opportunities:
• Economics club leadership positions
• Student Managed Investment Fund — Investment experience
• Independent research projects with faculty
• Adirondack Cup Challenge — Stock competition against other schools
A well published and experienced faculty. Our department is one of the most prolific publishing departments on campus.
The Mayor of Plattsburgh, the Honorable Colin Read, is a full professor within our department.
Pay the $50 Application Fee and please submit:
- Official Bank Statement or notarized letter from a financial institution, translated to English, verifying funds are available to cover expenses (30,000 USD)
- Copy of your non-expired passport
- Proof of completion of high school
- Proof of English Proficiency
- Freshmen: High school average of 85+ on a 100 point scale
- Transfers: G.P.A. of 2.5+/4.0
- Proof of English proficiency: IELTS 6.5+; TOEFL IBT 76+
Results on several other standardized examinations are also acceptable