The State House at the end of Market Street in Indianapolis
Indianapolis is home to more than 850,000 people, making it the second largest city in the Midwest region of the United States and the largest city in the state of Indiana. “Indy,” as many know it, is regarded as a city of great culture, business and entertainment, attracting young professionals from a multitude of diverse backgrounds to start their careers and pursue an education.
So, what can Indianapolis offer you? Here’s a look into this great American city.
The entrance to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Welcome to Indianapolis: The city of Indianapolis was officially founded in 1821 and is known best for its culture, entertainment and educational opportunities. Tourism has a large impact on the economy, with an estimated 27.4 million people visiting the city in 2015. Some of the most visited attractions in Indianapolis include the Indianapolis Zoo, the White River Gardens and the White River State Park.
The city also has a thriving business environment. Indianapolis is the home to multiple Fortune 500 companies and is ranked eighth on Forbes’ list of “The Best Places for Business and Careers.” The city’s business landscape encompasses many fields, with the most prominent being biotechnology, life sciences, and health care.
- Indianapolis Culture: With an abundance of monuments, museums and art galleries in the city, Indianapolis is known around the country for its cultural offerings. The Indiana Historical Society and the Indiana State Museum are two of the most visited museums in the city, offering guests an opportunity to experience some of the great moments in Indiana’s state history. Art enthusiasts should visit the Indianapolis Museum of Art, which features more than 54,000 works from around the world in their permanent collection.
- Indy Entertainment: Indianapolis also has a lot of entertainment options, from sports to live music, to keep you entertained. The two most iconic sports teams located in the city are the Indiana Pacers (Basketball) and the Indianapolis Colts (American Football). The city also hosts the Indianapolis 500 each year, an automobile race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway which has a seating capacity of 250,000 people!
At the Indianapolis 500
Each year, the city hosts Indy Jazz Fest and a summer concert series for the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. The Klipsch Music Center, located in nearby Noblesville, is known for being one of the top music venues in the United States, hosting concerts throughout the year from some of the world’s greatest entertainers.
An Indiana Institute of Technology graduate
- Getting an education: In addition to its cultural and entertainment offerings, Indianapolis is also well known for its world-class higher education institutions. Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) and Butler University are two universities in the city that are known for their prestigious programs and overall value. Each year, these institutions enroll students from around the globe into their programs. There are also schools in the city that focus on the arts, including the Art Institute of Indianapolis.
International students at Indiana University - Bloomington
- Find your new home: Moving to a new area is never easy. If you are interested in living off-campus and need to find an affordable apartment in a safe neighborhood, ApartmentSearch.com is a great resource to use. The tool allows you to search for an apartment in your ideal location, while also showing you, the cost of living, local restaurants, the length of your commute and more. If your apartment is unfurnished, furniture rental is an economical and hassle-free way to furnish your home. CORT, the leading provider of furniture rental in the U.S., furnishes thousands of student apartments with everything from beds and sofas to housewares and electronics – all with affordable rental package options.
Indianapolis offers opportunities for people from all over the world with different backgrounds and interests. If you are interested in learning more about this great city, take some time to research all that is has to offer. For more information on CORT’s furniture rental solutions, please visit https://www.cort.com/studyusa.
by Yu Wu and CORT.
Universities, colleges and language institutes near Indianapolis:
Check Out These Schools
Start your U.S. adventure with Study in the USA
Learn About U.S. education financing, housing, and more
BECOME SMARTER IN JUST 5 MINUTES. Get the daily email that makes reading the news actually enjoyable. Stay informed and entertained, for free.
MPOWER Financing is the top-rated lender offering international student loans without cosigners, collateral, or credit history for global citizens, PLUS international student scholarships & career coaching! Fully online application, 96% customer...
Prove your English and achieve your goals with the Michigan English Test – widely recognized and available on your own schedule at a test center or from home.
At first, I don't know how to begin and I found StudyUSA.com. I didn’t hesitate to mail questions and they replied me very fast… They always ask me about my study. I felt like I have best friend to find school and bring me to study in USA.
Thank youfor helping me find an excellent English program. And to be able to continue with my doctorate.
I found a lot of useful articles on StudyUSA.com, especially under the Student Voices section. I have been recommending the website to my friends back at my home country who are interested in coming to America to study.
Learn about American culture and education direct from our experts at Study in the USA. Read more