There is a lot to consider if you are contemplating studying abroad in the United States. Finding the perfect place that fits your personality and offers opportunities to meet your goals requires a lot of research and planning. If you are looking to live in one of the most diverse and exciting cities in the country, Los Angeles, California, just may be the right spot.
• The “City of Angels”: Los Angeles, or L.A. for short, is also known by its nickname: the “City of Angels.” L.A. is the second largest city in the United States and the most populous in California, with an estimated 3.9 million people living in the city.
Located in Southern California, the city features several landmarks that attract worldwide visitors. During the warm summer months, beachgoers take in the sun at Long Beach, enjoying surfside activities and water sports. Los Angeles is also known for its downtown area, which is the main business district of the city. The historic Downtown Los Angeles provides jobs for more than 500,000 people and endless entertainment options for locals and visitors looking for a fun night on the town.
• Catch a game: Los Angeles has seven professional sports teams in four of the five major sports leagues. Between the franchises, L.A. sports teams have won 25 championships in their respective leagues. Three of L.A.’s professional teams, the Los Angeles Lakers (Basketball), Los Angeles Clippers (Basketball) and Los Angeles Kings (Hockey) all share the same venue, STAPLES Center. If you aren’t a sports fan, this arena is also the setting for the GRAMMY Awards, year-round concerts and other special events.
• Experience the arts: With all of the movies, music and sports constantly getting attention in Los Angeles, it can be easy to forget about the cultural offerings. The 841 museums and art galleries in the city gives L.A. more per capita than any other city in the world. Among the most popular destinations are the Natural History Museum, Griffith Observatory, California Science Center and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. With all of these galleries and museums, it’s safe to say that L.A. has something for everyone.
• Hooray for Hollywood: When most people think of Los Angeles, they think of movie stars, red carpets and all of the glamour that comes with being a celebrity. This is because L.A. is the home to the entertainment capital of the world: Hollywood. This neighborhood, located in the center of Los Angeles, has been considered the headquarters for the motion picture industry since the early 1900s, and today produces most of the movies that make their way to the big screen. You may even see one of your favorite movie stars or singers walking down the street, as many of Hollywood’s biggest celebrities reside in the area. Be sure to check out the Hollywood Walk of Fame to get the full experience of the neighborhood.
• Earning a world-class education: Los Angeles offers much more than just entertainment value and diverse cultural attractions. Scholars travel from around the world to pursue an education at L.A.’s revered universities. California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA), California State University, Northridge (CSUN) and the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) are all well-regarded public universities within the city limits. The University of Southern California (USC) is one of the many esteemed private universities in the city.
• Finding your home away from home: Students moving to Los Angeles for school have plenty of housing options. If living on campus isn’t the best fit for you, choosing an apartment near campus can be perfect for students looking for affordable housing. ApartmentSearch.com is a great tool to use when searching for apartments in the city. The search engine allows you to find an apartment in your ideal area, and also allows you to view the cost of living, local restaurants, crime statistics, the length of your commute and more. If your apartment is unfurnished, furniture rental is an economical and hassle-free way to furnish your home. CORT, the leading provider of furniture rental in the U.S., furnishes thousands of student apartments with furniture and accessories, with rental packages starting as low as $99 per month.
There’s a reason 3.9 million people call Los Angeles home. Regardless of where you come from or what you want to do, the city has plenty to offer. If you are interested in learning more about the “City of Angels,” take some time to research this incredible city. For more information on CORT’s furniture rental solutions, please visit www.CORT.com.
• Los Angeles fun facts:
• Los Angeles is home to people from more than 140 countries, speaking 224 different languages.
• 24 million people vacation in Los Angeles every year.
• There are more women-owned businesses in Los Angeles than anywhere else in the United States.
• The iconic Hollywood sign overlooking Los Angeles originally read “Hollywoodland.”
• There are more automobiles than people in Los Angeles, with vehicles covering an estimated 24 percent of the city's total ground area.
by Yu Wu and CORT.
Colleges and universities in the Los Angeles area:
University of California, Los Angeles UCLA Extension Certificate Programs for International Students
Check Out These Schools
Start your U.S. adventure with Study in the USA
Learn About U.S. education financing, housing, and more
Develop the portfolio and skills you need for your future! Embrace meaningful projects while collaborating with expert mentors and expanding your professional network.
Ready to make your MBA dreams a reality? Register now for a virtual or in-person event with The MBA Tour! Don’t miss your chance to speak directly with leading business schools, such as Harvard University, Boston University, Columbia University, UC...
Most U.S. apartments come unfurnished. Make your move easy with a student furniture rental package from CORT. Flexible lease terms. Delivered before you arrive. Starting at $99 per month.* *with a 12-month lease
...It is a difficult and tiring process to find the ideal university and I felt that I was alone in that process but I could see through the Study in the USA Instagram account that I was not alone and that I could achieve my dreams.
I had a dream, but I needed to have a project and a plan to achieve that. StudyUSA.com directed me in all of this journey…StudyUsa.com was fundamental in all the process. They showed me the ways and helped me to make the best decisions.
Studyusa.com gave me a lot of idea for my first steps to study in the U.S. They also introduced me to many helpful schools to choose for my career. Thank you so much!
Learn about American culture and education direct from our experts at Study in the USA. Read more