Find schools for students age 10-18
Choosing a secondary school and an ESL program may be one of the most important decisions you make in your lifetime. These steps below should be helpful.
1. How do you know if you need ESL?
Most applicants to U.S. universities have had exposure to the English language. However, your basic comprehension and grammar may not be sufficient to apply to a U.S. university or college. Ask yourself if:
- You are able to read and comprehend most English texts
- You have a high level of grammatical competence in writing and speaking
- You have a strong command of vocabulary and functional language
- You can follow and understand lectures. If not, a boarding school ESL program would be ideal for you.
2. How should you evaluate an ESL program?
- Development of reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills
- Flexibility in course selection
- Content-based instruction as well as English language classes
- TOEFL preparation and testing
- Individual support and tutoring for both ESL and non-ESL courses
- Motivated and well-trained faculty
- Small student-to-teacher ratio
- Encouragement in expressing ideas and opinions openly
- Focus on study and organizational skills
- Emphasis on time management
- Incorporation of advanced technology in classes
3. What should you look for when choosing a boarding school that offers ESL?
- Equal distribution of international
- students from different cultures
- School-sponsored activities to help integration with American students
- A community where students feel at home, safe, and respected
- Planned multi-cultural events
- A strong guidance system in which students meet individually with an adviser to discuss their personal needs, worries, ideas, and goals
- Opportunities for leadership in student government, clubs, academic areas, and dormitory life.
Check Out These Schools
Start your U.S. adventure with Study in the USA
Learn About U.S. education financing, housing, and more
Study in the USA’s advisors can work with you to navigate the requirements to study abroad in the USA, UK, Canada, and Australia. We help you find the right school and apply.
Get international student medical insurance for as low as $1.12 USD per day. Our plans are available to any student studying outside their home country and include coverage for Covid-19. Get your free quote and enroll today!
BetterHelp is the world’s largest therapy service, and it’s 100% online. You get the same professionalism and quality you expect from in-office therapy, but with access to a huge network of therapists, more scheduling flexibility, and at a more affor...
Learn about American culture and education direct from our experts at Study in the USA. Read more