How to Stay Focused and Successful in Virtual High School
By Jada Lawrence
Wisconsin Lutheran High School (WLHS) has been providing world-class face-to-face instruction since 1903. While the coronavirus has caused disruption to some of the norms of the classroom environment, it has also provided an opportunity to expand our ability to reach learners who aren't able to be in the classroom. The article that follows is written by a student of WLHS who shares tips she has learned in her experiences as a virtual student.
Online learning is a new thing to many students that often comes with a lot of struggles. Those struggles may be internet problems, camera problems, audio problems, and more. Students may even struggle with focusing, since they are at home with many distractions. Here are some tips to help you stay focused in virtual school.
- Put yourself in a room with no distractions and have all your school materials laid out in front of you.
- Set a schedule for your online school including frequent 5-10 minute breaks to look away from our screen and stretch your body.
- Put other devices away, that aren’t school related, such as your phone, smart watch, tablet, etc.. ,
- Have a little snack to help you stay focused, but make sure it's not a distraction.
- Make sure your computer is fully charged. When your computer is on a low battery percentage it often works slower.
- When you are not using it, make sure you sign out and shut down your computer.
- To increase your internet speed, try powering on and off your Wifi box or move to a location in your house where the internet works successfully.
- Clear your browser frequently and close tabs that aren’t necessary.
- Update your computer several times a week to keep it running smoothly.
- Keep good communication with your teacher, asking questions and clarifying instructions.
- Contact the school's tech support with any other computer issues that disrupt your virtual learning!
Jada Lawrence, grade 9 student at Wisconsin Lutheran High School
Get matched to the best program for you
Let us know what you're looking for so we can find the best school for you.
Check Out These Schools
Wisconsin Lutheran High School
American University – International Accelerator
Golden West College
Typical cost per Year: $5,000—$10,000
Irvine Valley College
Typical cost per Semester: $5,000—$10,000
Northwest Missouri State University
Typical cost per Semester: $15,000—$20,000
Start your U.S. adventure with Study in the USA
Learn About U.S. education financing, housing, and more
Let us help you through your U.S. visa application process. GET STARTED NOW!
Education Insurance Plans
Introducing the College/University Inbound Tuition Insurance Plan – safeguarding tuition, housing, and travel costs for international students studying in the U.S. Features include tuition protection, housing coverage, travel reimbursement, streamlin...
Student loan for international students? Yes, it is real!
MPOWER Financing is the top-rated lender offering international student loans without cosigners, collateral, or credit history for global citizens, PLUS international student scholarships & career coaching! Fully online application, 96% customer...
Study in the USA helped me by providing information regarding fees and courses of the various universities I was interested in.
StudyUSA helped me prepare the right documents for the various interviews, and to know what to expect in terms of travel and navigating the American academic system.
I regularly find information regarding the best university for me and which is available on StudyUSA.com
Learn about American culture and education direct from our experts at Study in the USA. Read more