By Jada Lawrence
Wisconsin Lutheran High School (WLHS) has been providing world-class face-to-face instruction since 1903. While the coronavirus has caused disruption to some of the norms of the classroom environment, it has also provided an opportunity to expand our ability to reach learners who aren't able to be in the classroom. The article that follows is written by a student of WLHS who shares tips she has learned in her experiences as a virtual student.
Online learning is a new thing to many students that often comes with a lot of struggles. Those struggles may be internet problems, camera problems, audio problems, and more. Students may even struggle with focusing, since they are at home with many distractions. Here are some tips to help you stay focused in virtual school.
- Put yourself in a room with no distractions and have all your school materials laid out in front of you.
- Set a schedule for your online school including frequent 5-10 minute breaks to look away from our screen and stretch your body.
- Put other devices away, that aren’t school related, such as your phone, smart watch, tablet, etc.. ,
- Have a little snack to help you stay focused, but make sure it's not a distraction.
- Make sure your computer is fully charged. When your computer is on a low battery percentage it often works slower.
- When you are not using it, make sure you sign out and shut down your computer.
- To increase your internet speed, try powering on and off your Wifi box or move to a location in your house where the internet works successfully.
- Clear your browser frequently and close tabs that aren’t necessary.
- Update your computer several times a week to keep it running smoothly.
- Keep good communication with your teacher, asking questions and clarifying instructions.
- Contact the school's tech support with any other computer issues that disrupt your virtual learning!
Check Out These Schools
Start your U.S. adventure with Study in the USA
Learn About U.S. education financing, housing, and more
IELTS is the world’s most popular English language proficiency test for higher education and global migration. It is accepted by more than 3,400 institutions in the US. If you want to study in the US, IELTS can help you get there!
MPOWER Financing is the top-rated lender offering international student loans without cosigners, collateral, or credit history for global citizens, PLUS international student scholarships & career coaching! Fully online application, 96% customer...
Summer plans suspended because of COVID-19? The deadline's approaching for TheInternGroup's virtual/remote global internship program. Gain professional experience, grow your network and make your resume shine from wherever you are this summer.
Through StudyUSA I was able to chat with several different schools and I was able to choose which one suits me academically, financially and application procedures. Thank you StudyUSA!
I think the rich database of schools has helped me find a lot of schools very fast.
Study in the USA helped me to discover myself. I was able to realize my dream of being an excellent student and make my parents proud. I was also able to start a leadership club at my college.
Learn about American culture and education direct from our experts at Study in the USA. Read more