How Do I Get My I-20 Form?

How Do I Get My I-20 Form?

How Do I Get My I-20 Form?

By Brianna Burrows

There is no better feeling than being accepted into your program of choice to study in the USA. You’re one step closer to achieving your dreams! While it might feel like you have gotten over the hardest part of the process, there are still some hurdles to jump over. Now that you’ve been accepted, it’s time to figure out your visa and immigration paperwork to legally study in the USA. By now, you’ve probably heard that you need an I-20 from, but how do you get one?

The I-20 Form is a Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. Once you have been accepted into a SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program)-certified school, and paid your I-901 SEVIS fee, an official representative from your school will give you the appropriate I-20 Form based on whether the school you attend is in F-1 or M-1 status. Every school that accepts you will send you an I-20 Form once you’ve paid the fee. Only complete the I-20 Form from the school that you decide to attend.

You will need the I-20 Form for other parts of your immigration application. You will use the I-20 Form to confirm payment of your I-901 SEVIS Fee, apply for your nonimmigrant visa at your U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and enter the Unites States.

While the immigration process might seem daunting, once you have your I-20 Form the remaining process is not long. If you have any questions regarding your I-20 Form or your immigration process, reach out to the school official who sent you your I-20 Form.   

Show More

Brianna Burrows is a freelance marketing specialist and alumna of Northeastern University. She specializes in event management, social media management, and content branding. Follow her on Twitter here.

Download Study in the USA® Magazines